Lots has been going on with OutRun restore over the last month or so and it’s not just me sticking a screwdriver into my finger so here goes……..
It’s take about 4 weeks to put in the wire harnesses and repair damaged ones. Several wires in the machine had been twisted together and taped. So all of these were remade with new wire and some new connectors were also required as pins broke trying to remove them.
Everything now pretty much in place. No more tape on the monitor wires, monitor isolator. I also fixed up the eight 5v power cables to the PCB.
Next the control panel was re installed. Since this pic below everything has been greased too with will miniseries wear but also makes the mechanical parts quieter when moving.
I’ve bought 2 new coin mechs and the back plate and pedals have been sent off to be chromed
A new LED light has been wired to the AC power box and then after 13 months of restore I finally turned it on.
Some adjustments were made to the monitor and then all electrical parts were checked. No sound was coming from the machine so after a few days of investigation I found both speakers were shot. Will need to pick some up soon.
So here’s a few pics of the machine with some work still to do which includes installing –
Control Panel Bezel
One or two more updates to completion 👍
Last weekend my wife kindly helped my take the cabinet for a ride from the garage to the house. It wasn’t an easy process as it had to go along the road (where several cars passed us) and down a second driveway at around a 40 deg drop. Then it had to go down and up a few stairs. It was kinda scary and I had a feeling that we would all end up in a heap at the bottom of the house. I’m happy to say we all survived !
The cab is now in the house and my wife couldn’t be happier …..mmmm #arcadewife
I lined up the side art and found it needed trimming around the top curves. After taping it down to the cab I used a specially crafted piece of Lego taped to a pencil to mark a 6mm line around the edges and then trimmed it.
The final result came out really well and there’s a nice even edge between the side art and the Newly fitted T-Molding.
I will do a further update to this post later this weekend with progress to the CP.
Finally after many many hours of work it’s starting to all come together.
Today I’ve received from a graphic designer redrawn side art for the OutRun resto project. As it was for just for personal use and not for business he did the work for free, so thank you Alfonso, top man.
Originally I was given totally redrawn side art from an OutRun buddy called David in the UK. He had paid to have it painstakingly recreated after not being happy with the poor mirrored side art you can pick up online.
The Australian machine has a curved section at the rear of the cab whereas the uk version goes straight down. I took photos and measurements of the curve and had the artwork modified. (Above you can see a curved area now at the rear just above the road)
The Australian machine also has the manufacturers logo on the side art so I had this added too like the original. You can see this below in the photo (Just below the seagul)
I plan to get the artwork printed out in April.
Please note- as this artwork was gift and had been expensively recreated and paid for by a friend in the UK plus modifications have been carried out in good will not to sell it I have been asked not to share it or have it reprinted. I respect this request so please do not contact me to get a copy, request a print or request to pay me for a set as I wont do this or answer requests on the subject.
Tonight I’ve managed to hit a milestone and complete the restore of the steering mechanics of my Australian OutRun machine.
On and off its taken 3 months from start to finish, jet washing, cleaning, polishing, researching, ordering parts, more polishing and greasing.
Looking back to what it was originally like is quite an eye opener now, the effort, moskito bites and sweat has paid off.
Today was a strange day. 2 weeks ago a friend made me aware of an Australian OutRun machine for sale in Melbourne Victoria. I’ve been looking out for a machine for several years and they are few and far between in Australia.
Today I finally became the owner of a Leisure and Allied Industries licences SEGA OutRun and it happen to fall on OutRun’s 29th Birthday. How weird!
This is going to probably be a long term project to get the machine how I want it. I will use this Blog to document the challenge and restoration of the machine so it will hopefully help others who want to do a machine in the future. I am excited to study this Australian version and share the differences from an OutRun that came from my original country England.
If your living in Australia right now a rare Leisure & Allied Industries OutRun cabinet has just gone up for sale.
It’s been modified a little to neaten the machine up with an Upright cab screen and steering bezel but apart from that the cab is in good shape.
You will need an OutRun board set and replacement monitor.
Check it out below it’s on a Buy it Now for $750
LAI OutRun for Sale